- Create a sustainable, functional group that has the knowledge and skills to advance regional management practices and ensure a sustainable, high quality of life for all captive elephants in Southeast Asia.
- Create a steering committee to set priorities for group activities, to coordinate with members and sub-groups, to create a master plan and guidelines, and to serve as a liaison to group members for people seeking information.
- Develop best management practices and protocols
- Create methods of assessment for evaluating existing camps (rating/ranking system)
- Produce and provide educational/training materials to enhance capacity building
- Emphasize the importance of captive populations in species conservation
- Conduct a thorough literature search on what is available on elephant management, mahout training, conservation messages and health care